· Learning to breath out properly underwater and turning one’s head to either side to breath in and getting the timing right.
· Learning to kick properly
· Learning correct stroke technique for freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke. Butterfly stroke could be an option for the more adventurous.
· The aim of the course is to develop the ability to swim 400m continuously without stopping.
Swim students will be need to have the following swimming aids for start of course:
1. Goggles (preferably non-fog ones)
2. Kick board
The above items can be purchased from any good sports store. The sports store at Shearwater shopping centre has agreed to offer a 10% discount to any U3A members showing their U3A card. The owner knows the type of goggles, kickboard and flippers most suited for learn to swim purposes.
Course will be held at Tudor Cabins pool, Appleby’s Rd, Northdown. Pool hire charge is $5 per hourly session, which is less than the standard pool hire charge of $8 per person per hour (sessions are 1hr duration including changing room time). This is payable in advance per term. Term 1 is 11 weeks long and so payment of $55 at 1st session is required. Course time is 10 – 11am each Thursday commencing 23rd February 2017.